We're looking for an associate pastor!
Associate Pastor (AP)
Part time position with a potential for full time employment
Operational Supervisors: Elders/Pastor
To direct and lead youth programming for 5th – 8th grade youth initially, with the potential for development of a senior high program. The AP shall seek to foster Christian community through building relationships with young people that strengthen their commitment to the church and growth in faith in Jesus Christ.
- Sincere Christian who is committed to Anabaptist values
- Love for children and youth and strong relational skills effective in ministering to them and their families
- Ability to envision, develop, and communicate ministry goals and empower others in implementing them.
- Ability to delegate ministry roles to volunteers and provide guidance for carrying out these roles.
- Ability to function well independently and in a team ministry context.
- Committed to a ministry that is congregationally-owned and integrated into the life of the congregation.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Theological training, seminary degree preferred.
- Shall be ordained or have the ability and desire to be ordained.
- Is presently a member of the Holly Grove Mennonite Church (HGMC) congregation or is willing to become a member.
Subject to review and adjustment in conjunction with needs of HGMC, the AP, and the Board of Elders (when appropriate), the following constitute the major responsibilities of the AP.
The AP shall at a minimum:
- Provide pastoral care for youth and their families as needed
- Partner with the worship committee to involve youth in Sunday worship experience
- Work with the lead pastor in planning and occasionally preaching and/or performing worship leading duties.
- Assist the lead pastor in working with sensitive pastoral care issues related to youth and family life.
- Create a welcoming environment to all youth and their friends, despite their level of involvement, and coordinate the reception of new persons into youth activities.
- Assist youth in celebrating transitional life events such as baptism, graduation, etc.
- Provide leadership for and function as the primary staff person for the youth ministry.
- Provide support for, and work with the Sunday school and Sunday morning youth activities.
- Plan and implement age appropriate activities that promote community through fellowship, fun, and faith development.
- Planning and involvement of monthly activities for youth participation such as, gym night, movie night, game night etc.
- Schedule and conduct age appropriate Bible based studies
- Keep informed of and encourage youth participation in church-wide events, services opportunities and Anabaptist educational opportunities.
- Coordinate fund-raising activities (as needed) that support special youth activities and trips.
- Maintain an open line of communication with youth, their families, the congregation, and church leadership.